- European support for research and innovation: Horizon Europe, the successor to Horizon 2020
European support for research and innovation: Horizon Europe, the successor to Horizon 2020
The HORIZON EUROPE Framework Programme is the successor to HORIZON 2020. It is the new EU support programme for research and innovation for the period 2021-2027. The programme takes a strategic approach, aiming to stimulate disruptive, market-creating innovations and create innovation-friendly clusters and ecosystems in the EU. The aim here is to bring innovation quickly to the market.
The methods of financing vary according to the different mechanisms within the EIC (European Innovation Council):
- grants, capital investments (in the case of the EIC)
- follow-up grants of a further EUR 50 000 to test the feasibility and ensure interaction between portfolios (in the case of the Pathfinder EIC)
- a new funding scheme to bridge the gap between the research phase (concept) and the pre-commercial phase (EIC transition)
- additional budget for green, digital and health technologies (EIC Accelerator)
- mainly mixed funding: grant + capital investment, but also grant only and first option grant (with the possibility of later investment) (EIC Accelerator).
To see what this means for Flanders/Wallonia and/or Brussels, we refer you to the corresponding articles per region: